Users of Madrid Metro line 9 – the purple one, which goes from Mirasierra to Arganda del Rey – found themselves on Monday with a sign informing them that the reopening of the section cut off by works since August “is coming forward.” ” to this Tuesday. In reality, what is said to be early is a euphemism, since a specific date was never given for the return to operation, which would be “at the beginning of September.” Thus, starting this Tuesday, the convoys once again stop between the stations of Colombia and Príncipe de Vergara – four stops. For now, the other line in which reforms have been undertaken since June, line 1, will have to wait at least until October.
“Line 9 is open. Finished, no,” comments a user this morning at the Núñez de Balboa station, where the works are about to be finished: the roof is not covered and all the pipes are exposed, above the heads of the passengers.
Status of the Núñez de Balboa station, this morning.EL PAIS
Specifically, the regional government details, in 9, improvements have been made to the waterproofing systems, ceilings and interior finishes and asbestos has been removed from the vaults and the different technical rooms of the Núñez de Balboa stops. , Concha Espina, Cruz del Rayo and Avenida de América.
Asbestos, toxic and dangerous, has been banned in Spain since 2002. Exposure to this material has already caused the death of 13 suburban workers and the company knew about the presence of the material since at least 2003, but hid it for decades. Until 2018, it did not launch a plan to remove asbestos from the network, which it extended until 2028, with an investment of 170 million euros, of which more than 62 have already been committed. Last April, 21 stations – of the 302 that the network has – still contained asbestos in their structures and 43.6% of the material present in the network had been removed.
Furthermore, in the case of Avenida de América, the works have coincided with the actions planned for this station within the Madrid Metro Accessibility and Inclusion Plan, which involves the installation of 10 elevators, the implementation of new emergency exits and the replacement of all signage at this and other points in the network.
What affects the most is what happens closest. So you don’t miss anything, subscribe.
During this period, the Community of Madrid has launched a free alternative bus service for metro users, which has covered the surface route between the Príncipe de Vergara and Colombia stops. Of the 12 existing lines, line 9 is the eighth in use, that is, one of the ones with the fewest passengers. The new Minister of Housing, Transport and Infrastructure, Jorge Rodrigo, explained that the bulk of the works were incompatible with the passage of trains, so the provision of the suburban service would be interrupted and that, as is usual, the the month with the least influx of users to introduce improvements that are “indispensable to continue guaranteeing the standards of quality, speed and safety” of the suburban.
In addition to the closure of line 9, more than the southern half of line 1, from Valdecarros to Sol, is without service from June 24 until October. “The works are going well and we will inform you of the opening date,” says a spokeswoman for the Ministry of Transport.
Subscribe here to our daily newsletter about Madrid.
#section #cut #works #line #Madrid #Metro #reopened #date #line